Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Flavor of the Gipsy Kings

There is probably no where I'd rather spend a summer evening than at Chastain Park Amphitheater. Live music, candles glowing from every seat, wine a-flowing, and gourmet food eaten off of tray tables - what's not to love?! I average about three concerts a year, but hope to work my way up to season tickets one of these days.

This past Sunday we saw the Gipsy Kings, whose music managed to be more sizzling than the high-90s temps. They are extraordinary musicians and performers, and I'll definitely be making some additions to my iTunes library this week.

Because the Chastain experience is as much about the food and wine as it is music, I always look forward to planning the picnic. Over the years, I've strived to find a perfect economy of special and simple. On the one hand, a concert there feels a bit like an occasion, worthy of more than Chick-fil-A nuggets or a Subway sandwich; on the other, it's usually hot, space-cramped and surface-deprived - not very luxurious conditions.

The Gipsy Kings show was the ideal occasion for traditional tapas, however I wasn't organized enough to put that together this weekend. I opted for grilled toasts and an assortment of spreads - technically "small plates" and close enough. Clockwise from top: Pineapple Salsa, Pesto Pulled Chicken (inspired by the topping for Giada's Polenta & Chicken Tartlets recipe, Trader Joe's Tuscan White Bean Dip topped with roasted red and yellow peppers.

Pineapple Salsa
Whole Foods sells a similar salsa that a friend introduced me to. I liked the addition of fresh ginger in my recipe.

1 pineapple, cored and diced
1 peach (or 1/2 mango), peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro (opt)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in bowl. For best flavor, refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving.
___________________________________________________

Mel's Tips & Must Haves for a Good Ol' Chastain Time:
  • Surround items in cooler with large Ziploc bags full of ice instead of just filling up the cooler with loose cubes. You'll have clean ice to use in drinks, and don't have to empty the disgusting food debris/dirty wineglasses/floating beer labels out of the cooler the next morning. You know who you are.
  • Don't take more than about 3 individual dishes. Passing a bunch of bowls around is a major pain in the A when you don't have a lot of room to spread out. Not to mention, you may be too distracted setting up all your stuff that you miss Corrine Bailey Rae's first number.
  • Try to bring foods in individual portions such as snack-size bags of chips, kebabs, small containers of pasta or fruit salad, cookies/ brownies, etc.
  • Skip the flowers. Believe me, I love take it to 11 when it comes to atmosphere, but for me, the vase of flowers just isn't worth the hassle - you have to worry about the water sloshing out and blossoms being crushed. Sidenote: I once saw a woman in the table section with a (kid you not) 8-arm silver candelabra intertwined with ivy and silk flowers. Wrong on a lot of levels. I think people were more focused on the 8 teetering tapers all night than the music act!
  • Always carry along an oilcloth or vinyl tablecloth. It can serve its traditional purpose or provide cover if it starts to rain. Now that's a good tip, you have to admit! Better than sticking your head through a garbage bag, I say!
  • Bring one more bottle of wine than you think you'll need. And most importantly, while you're at it, bring a....
  • Designated driver
Happy concert-going!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And who might that "friend" be that turned you on to the WF salsa...hmmmmh, I wonder?

Love the blog! May I propose a toast to your entry into the blogsphere - salut!

love ya,
Susan