Friday, September 14, 2007

September, in Calories

So I've been out of touch - work has been crazy, yet there's been no shortage of food and fun! Football season has started, and the slight change in the sun's position alluvasudden has me looking at mums and recipes for roast parsnips. Yep, fall is around the corner, and is like a welcome, plaid-clad old friend.

A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate to attend famed University of Georgia football announcer Larry Munson's season kick-off party. It was a sea of red and black, and a lot of adorable 19 year-olds with Miller Lites, strapless sundresses and no back fat. (Bitches.) The food spread was, for the most part, totally ho-hum. But they rolled out the big guns with a praline station, complete with copper kettle and all. I easily consumed 7,327 calories just in pralines (and a few Miller Lites, myself) and enjoyed every last finger-licking bite with absolutely no guilt. I'll upload a few pics of the evidence soon.

The past few weeks have also seen a fiesta-themed Labor Day brunch with Huevos Rancheros (courtesy of a Southern Living recipe I couldn't find a link to), Limesicle Margaritas and a half-drunken trip to the mall - which thankfully only resulted in a lip gloss and pair of pants from the Gap. I wasn't driving, BTW. We capped the day off at Tap, a most excellent addition to Peachtree St. , I must say. Love to Sue, J, and Stevie G - people I'm totally thrilled to spend any day with - labor or no labor.

Now I'm busy planning a Halloween party, the date of which is hinging on the TV scheduling of the GA-FLA game, but will definitely take place sometime between Oct 26 and 28th. Lots of recipes and ideas a'brewin' (get the pun?!). More on that later.

And before I close this schizo post, I must shout-out to my local cantina, La Casita in East Atlanta Village. We ate there just last night - a delicious meal of Carne Rojo and Tres Hongos tacos, and their addictive chips and Guajillo pepper salsa. La Casita has all the right ingredients - kind of grimy, packed with people, always delicious.

As we glide into another season, I bid you the crisp blue skies of autumn, with the sweet frozen memories of summer.......

Limesicle Margaritas

1/4 cup scoop lime sherbet or sorbet (I used Hola Fruita!)
1 oz. tequila
1/2 oz. Triple Sec or Grand Marnier

Scoop, pour, stir until frothy and enjoy. Chase with songs from Putamayo's Acoustic Brazil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo, it's October....