Friday, October 19, 2007


So the Halloween dinner menu is set for next weekend, and I decided to keep it to a few close friends whose favorite cheeses I know and who provide enough laughs to fill the whole house with energy and fun.

I've never really aspired to be a Martha - don't have the talent or budget for that level of perfection. But for many years I forced menus that were too demanding, guest lists that were too ambitious or idealistic, and expectations that wound up making the whole endeavor of hospitality a bit more anxiety-ridden than it should be. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed every aspect of entertaining, I've just learned not to indulge my fantasies.

Some folks will never mingle with strangers despite your thoughtful, creative introductions or quantity of alcohol served.

Crostini won't remain crisp beyond about 5 minutes off the broiler. After that, your brilliant ricotta and fava bean topping won't be much of a pleasure when that chewy-ass slice of baguette is assaulting people's dental work.

A collage of white cat hair will undoubtedly wind up on someone's black pants - no matter how much you OCD-ly dust and vacuum before the party.


So in the spirit of simplyfing, next weekend I'm making one of the easiest menus ever - soup and soup! (or soup and chili technically) Tim and I used to attend an annual pumpkin carving party where the host made big pots of chili and corn chowder. I loved that combo, so I'm going to give it a whirl myself. Also going to try a pumpkin-hued cocktail of OJ, sparkling water, cherry liqueur and Limoncello. Weird combination admittedly, but it's festive and boozey, and probably won't suck. Guests are bringing desserts, which will no doubt be inspired and delicious.

I'm looking forward to this official kicking-off of the Holiday Trifecta - cat hair and all.

No comments: